All the stained glass in the church is Victorian except the Pollock window in the sanctuary which dates from 1926. Most of the windows date from the two restorations of the building in 1864 and 1874. Three windows remain as clear glass and help greatly to illuminate the chancel, nave and tower ground floor.
The sanctuary east window is a five light represenation of the Ascension by Alexander Gibbs (unsigned). It was inserted following Lord Lonsdale’s restoration of the chancel, its new tracery faithfully copying its predecessor. However, in an effort to restore proportions when the church was heightened, the new window was raised several feet higher in the east wall. On either side of the ascending Christ are angels, one bearing a banner proclaiming “This same Jesus which is taken from you” completed by his companion’s banner which says “into Heaven shall so come in like manner”. Eleven disciples and Mary stand or kneel across the bottom of the window, Peter kneeling and holding his keys. Each light is 36cm wide ecept Christ’s cenral light which is 48cm wide. The dedication, across the base of each light reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF J WORDSWORTH MA 40 YEARS VICAR OF THIS PARISH AND ISABELLA CHRITIAN HIS WIFE AD 1876
The window is in good condition with only one face’s painted detail having faded.
The north wall is by Cox and Sons. Its main problem is that almost all of the painting on the glass has faded to a ghostly shadow. This leaves large areas of colour making little sense until one closely inspects the work. Above the two 56cm wide lights are four small lights. At the top in a circular light are two angels bearing the message “THREE IN ONE” and on each side, in the trefoil lights, angels hold the words “HOLY HOLY HOLY” and “LORD GOD ALMIGHTY”. The left hand main light shows Christ Healing the Blind. The two blind men knell, the one whose eyes Christ has covered with His right hand has cast away his stick. Two disciples stand behind Christ. The right hand light depicts The Woman with an Issue of Blood. Christ, again attended by the two disciples, turns to see who has touched the hem of his robe. The dedication runs across the base of both lights:
TO THE CHERISHED MEMORY OF FANNY MILLAR WHO DIED OCT. 31 1867 (left light)
TO THE CHERISHED MEMORY OF WILLIAM HENRY PERRY WHO DIED JAN 14 1870 (right light)
THIS WINDOW WAS ERECTED AS A TOKEN OF LOVE AND AFFECTION THEIR ONLY SISTER.
On the large brass plate below the window with fading black lettering and red capital letters is the following inscription:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN TENDER REMEMBRANCE OF THE GIVER OF THIS WINDOW
ANNIE THE LOVING AND BELOVED WIFE OF EDWARD H. DICKINSON M.D. OF LIVERPOOL
BORN KEEKLE GROVE HENSINGHAM SEPT. 9 AD 1848 ENTERED INTO REST DEC. 27 AD 1886
HER BODY WAITS WITHIN TH SECRED PRECINCTS OF THIS CHURCH UNTIL HE COMES.
Cox and Sons, London commenced business as clerical tailors in the 1860's, they then diversified into stained glass windows. Many believe that the later work after they employed Buckley, in the early 1880's, is of better quality. Examples of Cox and Sons and Buckley can be seen in all Saints Church, Cockermouth.
South Aisle or Lady Chapel
The huge multi-coloured east window in the south aisle is one of the glories of the church. Composed of five 50cm wide lights, there are 21 smaller lights of several shapes (dagger, trefoil and mouchette) in the top third of the window. It is the work of Alexander Gibbs and is unsigned. In the upper half of the main lights sits Christ in majesty flanked by St. Peter with his keys and St. Paul with his sword. In the lower half is a depiction of the Nativity, the images decked with dozens of tiny flowers of every form and hue. The infant Jesus in a manger is attended by Mary, the ox and the ass, with the three Wise Men bearing gifts from the left and an adoration of three shepherds and two sheep approach from the right. In each corner, all bearing Gospels and a quill pen, are Matthew, Luke, John and Mark. In the heavens above, round a small banner saying “PRAISE YE THE LORD” are ten angels, eight instruments (3 harps, 2 trumpets, 1 flute, 1 lute and 1 portative organ) and many geometric patterns. Every piece of dark olive green glass has turned almost completely black over the years. Some small holes, once means of access and egress for small sparrows, have been repaired with plain glass. The dedication runs across the bottom of the five lights:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD THIS WINDOW AND GABLE WERE RESTORED IN THE YEAR 1864 BY MARY HARRIS IN MEMORY OF HER MUCH LOVED HUSBAND JOSEPH HARRIS OF GREYSOUTHEN ESQ. WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANUARY 7TH 1860 IN THE 80TH YEAR OF HIS AGE.
South Aisle or Lady Chapel
The south aisle south wall contains two windows of two lights, both inserted after the 1864 retsoration of the nave and aisle and both the gift of workmen of the Harris family. The eastermost window depicts the Annunciation. The top light contains a descending dove signifying the Holy Spirit. Two small geometrically patterned lights lead the eye down to the two 50cm wide main lights. On the left the Archangel Gabriel holds a banner saying “HAIL THOU THAT ART HIGHLY FAVOURED”. Facing Gabriel, Mary, in a blue robe, holds her reply “BEHOLD THE HANDMAID OF THE LORD”. Below two large patterned infill rectangles, three lines of text stretch across The bottom of both lights.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN THE MEMORY OF THEIR FORMER MASTER THIS WINDOW IS ERECTED AD 1865 BY THE WORKMEN OF JOSEPH HARRIS OF GREYSOUTHEN ESQ. WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANY 7TH 1860 IN THE 80TH YEAR OF HIS AGE.
In the top right hand corner of the text rstangle of the right hand light is the maker’s signature:
It is a small roudel painted black with the lettering showing the pale blue glass underneath. The window is in perfect condition.
South Aisle or Lady Chapel
The west wall of the south aisle holds the ogival vesica piscis or “fish” window. About 1m 20cm wide, this window has three main lights and two very small lights. The top light holds an ornate Canterbury cross, the bottom left light a large Alpha and the bottom right a large Omega recalling Revelation 22 v.13: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the Beginning and the End.” The Omega has a brown glass repair, necessitated by a stone thrown by an external vandal during Evensong. The window has a good range of colours: blue, white, gold, red, pale purple, light green and pale yellow and yet seems rather cold and impersonal. It is unsigned by Alexander Gibbs.
The sanctuary south window is a two light representation of St. Aidan and St. Cuthbert, initialled by its makers, Shrigley and Hunt. The overall impression is of a darkish green cast but there are deep red and blue robes, with turquoise, white and yellows. Each saint is crowned with a mitre and holds a crozier, St. Cuthbert holding a book and St. Aidan stands beside a seated king with nine standing or kneeling figures listening. St. Cuthbert is blessing a seated king with a woman, two menand a child in attendance. This light is cracked, possibly by an airgun pellet. In its bottom right hand corner is its dedication:
IN MEMORY OF
JAMES TAYLOR POLLOCK
41 YEARS VICAR OF THIS
PARISH 1875 - 1916
Each light is 37cm wide. Immediately below thew window in its recess is a large brass plate which reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
IN MEMORY OF
JEREMY TAYLOR POLLOCK MA
SOMETIME HON. CANON OF CARLISLE, RURAL DEAN
AND BISHOP’S CHAPLAIN
VICAR OF THIS PARISH FROM 1876 TO 1916
BORN 18TH MAY 1850, DIED 11TH DECEMBER 1916
THIS WINDOW WAS FILLED WITH STAINED GLASS IN LOVING
MEMORY OF HIM, BY NUMEROUS PARISHIONERS AND FRIENDS